Not all is gloom and doom in the world. In fact this is just in from one of my faithful readers…..enjoy some Covid-19 Good Humor :
- Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.
- I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I’m cracking a safe.
- I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
- Still haven’t decided where to go for Easter —– The Living Room or The Bedroom.
- PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
- Home-schooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.
- I don’t think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we’d go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone.
- This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog….. we laughed a lot.
- Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.
- My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
- Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.
- I’m so excited — it’s time to take out the garbage. What should I wear.
- I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to ‘’Puerto Backyarda’’. I’m getting tired of ‘’Los Livingroom’’.
- Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.
- Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said “I hope I don’t have the same teacher next year”…. I’m offended.
- Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under….
Even the Bible recognizes our need for a bit of humor in our lives; Proverbs 17: 22 says “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones”.
To fill our hearts and tummies with a bit more Good Humor today, here are some nostalgic tidbits from the Good Humor® website:
- Good Humor® started in 1920 in Youngstown, Ohio, when confectioner Harry Burt created a chocolate coating compatible with ice cream.
- After waiting three years for a patent, Burt took a trip to Washington, D.C., in 1923 with a five-gallon pail of Good Humor bars for the patent officials to sample. It worked – his patent was granted.
- In 2014, almost a century after the Good Humor® truck revolutionized the delivery of treats to people of all ages, we launched the first-ever commercially viable solar-powered freezers in New York City.
- Go to https://www.goodhumor.com/us/en/about/history.html if you’re interested in more Good Humor® nostalgia.
Certainly we’ve had enough bad news to crush our spirits lately if that’s what we’re focused on. So it’s incumbent on us to focus on something else, something positive. And the most positive thing we have of course is Christ’s resurrection that we just celebrated last weekend. It was heartening to me to see some of the unique ways people chose to celebrate the resurrection around the world in the midst of a global quarantine.
Enjoy the Good Humor®, and Thanks for reading All About Seniors…..see you next week!
Bill Milby is a Director of Visiting Angels® of Central Georgia, a non-medical, living assistance service for seniors. If you have questions or comments about this column you can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org